(To be displayed in school buildings and
placed in student handbooks)
There shall be no hazing, solicitation to engage in hazing, or aiding and abetting another who is engaged in hazing of any person enrolled, accepted for or promoted to enrollment, or intending to enroll or be promoted to schools within twelve (12) calendar months. For purposes of this policy a person as specified above shall be considered a "student" until graduation, transfer, promotion or withdrawal from the school.
"Hazing" means any intentional, knowing or reckless act committed by a student, whether individually or in concert with other persons, against another student and in which both of the following apply:
● The act was committed in connection with an initiation into, an affiliation with or the maintenance of membership in any organization that is affiliated with an educational institution.
● The act contributes to a substantial risk of potential physical injury, mental harm or degradation, or causes physical injury, mental harm or personal degradation.
"Organization" means an athletic team, association, order, society, corps, cooperative, club, or similar group that is affiliated with an educational institution and whose membership consists primarily of students enrolled at that educational institution.
It is no defense to a violation of this policy if the victim consented or acquiesced to hazing.
In accord with statute, violations of this policy do not include either of the following:
● Customary athletic events, contests or competitions that are sponsored by an educational institution.
● Any activity or conduct that furthers the goals of a legitimate educational curriculum, a legitimate extracurricular program or a legitimate military training program.
All students, teachers and staff shall take reasonable measures within the scope of their individual authority to prevent violations of this policy.
Students and others may report hazing to any professional staff member. Professional staff members must report the incident to the school administrator or next higher administrative supervisor, in writing, with such details as may have been provided. A failure by a staff member to timely inform the school administrator or next higher administrative supervisor of a hazing allegation or their observation of an incident of hazing may subject the staff member to disciplinary action in accord with school policies. The staff member shall preserve the confidentiality of those involved, disclosing the incident only to the appropriate school administrator or next higher administrative supervisor or as otherwise required by law. Any instance of reported or observed hazing which includes possible child abuse or violations of statutes known to the staff member shall be treated in accord with statutory requirements and be reported to a law enforcement agency.
A person who complains or reports regarding hazing may complain or report directly to the school administrator or to a professional staff member. The professional staff member receiving the report/complaint shall retrieve sufficient detail from the person to complete the form designated for such purpose. At a minimum the report/complaint shall be put in writing containing the identifying information on the complainant and such specificity of names, places and times as to permit an investigation to be carried out. When a professional staff member receives the information, the staff member will transmit a report to the school administrator or supervising administrator not later than the next school day following the day the staff member receives the report/complaint.
The report/complaint will be investigated by the school administrator or a supervising administrator. The procedures to be followed are:
● An investigation of the reported incident or activity shall be made within ten (10) school days when school is in session or within fifteen (15) days during which the school offices are open for business when school is not in session. Extension of the time line may only be by necessity as determined by the Superintendent.
● The investigator shall meet with the person who reported the incident at or before the end of the time period and shall discuss the conclusions and actions to be taken as a result of the investigation. Confidentiality of records and student information shall be observed in the process of making such a report.
● The investigator shall prepare a written report of the findings and a copy of the report shall be provided to the Superintendent.
All violations of this policy shall be treated in accord with the appropriate procedures and penalties provided for in School policies related to the conduct and discipline of students, staff, and others.