Lake Havasu City is a community inspired by possibility and rich with promise. Our young city responds to a common purpose: To build a future dependent on our single most precious re-source, our youth. The Mission Statement expresses a commitment to children and reflects the unity of purpose WE must demonstrate as a School District and a community. The success of our children is the base upon which our future rests.
The term "WE" will be capitalized throughout this document to identify the combined effort to educate our youth. "WE" represents children, parents, School District personnel, businesses, organizations, city agencies, and YOU. Through this combined effort, WE share the responsibility for the development and the well- being of children. WE can also share the pride in our successes.
In view of rapidly advancing technology and a continuously changing economy, students shall complete their formal education being able to continuously learn in order to be of value in the modern work place. A "lifelong learner" is a person who continues to seek knowledge and self improvement after the goals of formal education are achieved. As a community, WE can inspire learning as one of our student's greatest responsibilities by becoming lifelong learners ourselves. WE recognize the importance of continuous improvement in ourselves as the foundation of our work with children. As an organization, Lake Havasu Unified School District will model the process of lifelong learning.
WE, after examining the critical aspects of learning, found the following four (4) areas to be the building blocks for academic success. Each area is listed separately, although none of them function in isolation. They are interdependent. Combined, these factors enable all children to achieve their full potential. They lay the ground work for nurturing responsible citizens.
The basic skills of reading, math, and the communication skills of writing, speaking, and listening are the foundation for intellectual development. WE must ensure that students are competent in the basic skills to prepare them to work productively and think critically as lifelong learners.
The core curriculum is defined as the essential skills within each subject and grade level. The subjects of this curriculum include Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Physical Education, Technology, Fine Arts and Social Studies. WE need students who will enter adulthood with a framework of knowledge in the core curriculum areas. This will ensure that young adults have the capability and sensitivity to understand and to think critically about the issues our society will face.
Intellectual development is enhanced when students understand their responsibilities in the learning process. Habits that enable learners to be productive must be developed early and maintained throughout the learning process. WE must consistently require students to make productive use of valuable time and materials, and follow organizational guidelines. WE must provide consistent support to prepare students to develop self discipline and personal motivation.
To meet the challenges of daily living, WE model and reinforce a willingness to work cooperatively toward personal and common goals. WE develop the following body of acquired skills and character traits:
● Honesty, integrity, trust, and respect for the dignity of all.
● Problem solving, reasoning, and creative thinking.
● Goal setting, responsible decision making, and independent thinking.
● Social skills and coping skills.
● The development of a healthy life style.
● Marketable and technical skills with a productive work ethic.
● Effective communication and leadership.
WE must provide an effective environment which supports productive learning. This requires facilities that are clean, safe, and allow for adequate space to provide instruction. The Lake Havasu Unified School District is committed to the proper maintenance of buildings and the efficient use of space within them. An appropriate environment contributes to a successful learning experience.
Roles and Assurances in the
Nurturing children to their fullest potential is a complex and interdependent task. The lives of children are touched daily by many people. Everyone has an impact on the well-being of children and the quality of their intellectual development. WE must work collectively and cooperatively.
The Mission Statement articulates the valuable roles WE are challenged to assume. The Lake Havasu Unified School District defines the assurances that our community can expect from all staff members and suggests key ways the community can best influence the education of all children.
The Role of Students
The Lake Havasu City community provides the opportunity for all children to learn. Students will:
● Be active participants and take responsibility in the learning process.
● Maintain a good attendance record.
● Be on time and prepared with materials and assignments.
● Learn cooperatively and respectfully with others.
● Work to the very best of their ability.
● Respect school property.
The Role of Parents
Parents are a child's first and most lasting teachers. To be effective, the partnership between home and school must be one of mutual assurances. Parents trust staff members to treat their children with care and concern. WE expect parents to reinforce the educational process by:
● Providing for basic physical and emotional needs.
● Developing parenting skills and spending supportive time with their children.
● Understanding the Mission Statement and the importance of their support in the learning process.
● Modeling the importance of education and lifelong learning.
● Holding children accountable for their responsibilities.
● Helping with homework.
● Encouraging and recognizing educational success.
● Supporting the discipline guidelines to ensure learning of all children.
● Accepting the responsibility to seek information and stay informed.
● Participating in classroom learning activities.
● Requiring students to attend classes regularly.
Role of School District Personnel
The family, school and community partnership is one of mutual assurances. WE expect that school personnel will treat each student with dignity and respect by:
● Supporting the implementation of the Mission Statement.
● Demonstrating acceptable behavior for children which is concerned, caring and responsive.
● Modeling the concept of lifelong learning.
● Maintaining a safe and disciplined learning environment which is fair and respectful to all.
● Following the adopted curriculum to assure equal access to information for all students.
● Making responsible and efficient use of resources.
● Taking the initiative to reach out to parents and the community.
● Maintaining open lines of communication within all levels of the District and the community.
● Holding themselves accountable for high standards.
The Role of the Board of Education
The School Board and administrators have the responsibility to monitor the educational process and work diligently with all entities within the community. WE expect them to support the educational process by:
● Hiring and supporting leadership that will carry out the implementation of the Mission Statement.
● Modeling the concept of lifelong learning and supporting personal and professional growth in all staff.
● Holding staff accountable for high standards in teaching skills and student achievement.
● Monitoring the learning environment to ensure safety and discipline.
● Building trust and positive relations with personnel, parents, and community.
● Modeling the open and honest communication expected from all constituencies.
● Monitoring curriculum and adapting as necessary to meet local, state, and national needs.
● Supporting educational issues at the state and federal levels.
The Roles of Citizens, Agencies,
Many agencies within Lake Havasu City take an active role in the development of children with positive results. The Lake Havasu Unified School District commends these efforts and values these alliances. Citizens and community based entities have a considerable impact on the range of services and the nature of education which a school system can provide. The Lake Havasu City community will make important decisions concerning the schools. The well-being of children is best served when the decisions made are informed decisions:
● Support and model the implementation of the Mission Statement.
● Follow school happenings and ask questions to see clarification.
● Attend work study sessions held by the Board to be involved in the decision-making process.
● Attend School Board meetings.
● Visit classes and school functions to understand the nature of the school system's programs.
● Become involved in educational activities as volunteers or committee members.
● Provide students with the opportunity to gain valuable experience through apprenticeships.
Communication is the cornerstone of the learning results WE will accomplish with our children. The responsibility to help all of our children reach their greatest potential is a shared responsibility that can only be achieved by a community working collectively. WE are interdependent. The trust and unity of purpose necessary to succeed can be achieved through constructive and accurate communication.
WE will triumph in our efforts with children if WE seek and share information. As a community, WE must understand that our commitment to the intellectual development of children is only as strong as our willingness to honestly communicate our concerns and solutions. WE must work together with mutual belief in good faith and fair dealings.
Adopted: date of Manual adoption
Arizona State Constitution, Article XI, Section 1